Thursday, June 28, 2007

Report warns of nuclear arms race by Pakistan, India

Source: CNN.

June 21, 2007.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) -- Satellite images show that Pakistan is building a nuclear reactor that can produce weapons-grade plutonium, an American watchdog group said Thursday, warning that it could contribute to an atomic arms race with archrival India.

A picture taken June 3 shows work progressing rapidly on the reactor at the Khushab nuclear site, 100 miles southwest of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, the Institute of Science for International Security said.

The development of the reactor and other nuclear-related activities "imply" that Pakistan has decided to "increase significantly its production of plutonium for nuclear weapons," the Washington-based institute said in a report analyzing the images.

A senior official at the Pakistan Atomic Energy Authority said the country was "extending our infrastructure," but declined to address the details of the report.

"We are a declared nuclear state and we are pursuing our nuclear program for peaceful purposes," said the official, who asked that he not be identified because of the sensitivity of the subject. "We are doing it for our national interests."

Pakistan has stated repeatedly that it will develop its secretive nuclear program and maintain an atomic arsenal to deter India, its more powerful neighbor, despite past leaks of sensitive technology to countries including Iran.

The report, co-authored by former U.N. inspector David Albright, said Pakistan may have decided to produce more plutonium for lighter warheads for cruise missiles, or to upgrade weapons aimed at Indian cities.

Most Pakistani nuclear weapons use highly enriched uranium, it noted.

Albright said the work on the reactor shows that the country is trying to improve its nuclear capabilities with a "new generation" of plutonium-based weapons.

Plutonium-based weapons pack more explosive power into smaller, lighter packages than those made with uranium, which Pakistan has been using for years, according to Albright.

"The work on these reactors reflects a Pakistani decision to create a new generation of nuclear weapons. By going plutonium ... we have to interpret that as an attempt to make smaller, more powerful weapons that are going to be more destructive in India," Albright said in a telephone interview.

The Pakistani official declined to comment on what Pakistan might do with extra plutonium.

The report said that, with India also trying to expand its ability to enrich uranium, Pakistan's activities "should be viewed as a sign of an accelerated nuclear arms race between India and Pakistan."

It also accused the U.S. government of soft-pedaling the risk to avoid endangering Islamabad's cooperation against terrorism and a proposed nuclear pact with New Delhi.

"The bottom line for us is that the U.S. isn't doing enough to stop these countries from expanding their nuclear arsenals. They're turning a blind eye," said Albright.

The institute said it used commercially available satellite imagery to conclude that Pakistan was building a third nuclear reactor at Khushab.

A first reactor entered service in 1998, and a second one begun between 2000 and 2002 was still under construction earlier this month, it said in the report. The third and newest reactor has sprung up rapidly just a few hundred yards away, it said.

The images also purportedly show work progressing on a plutonium reprocessing facility at Chashma, 50 miles to the west.

A report by the same institute about the second reactor at Khushab saying it could eventually produce enough fissile material for 50 atomic bombs a year prompted the U.S. government last July to urge Pakistan not to expand its nuclear weapons program.

Pakistan conducted its only nuclear tests in May 1998 after Indian tests earlier that month. India detonated its first nuclear bomb in 1974.

The two countries came close to open conflict in 2002, fueling fear of the world's first nuclear exchange, after terrorists attacked India's Parliament. New Delhi accused Islamabad-backed militants of carrying out the attack, but Pakistan denied the claims. Both countries have since embarked on a stop-start peace process.

In February 2004, Abdul Qadeer Khan, considered to be the father of Pakistan's atomic program, confessed to giving nuclear technology to Iran, North Korea and Libya.

President Gen. Pervez Musharraf pardoned Khan and U.S. officials regularly praise Islamabad's role in helping prevent nuclear smuggling.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7/16/2007 6:49 PM, Blogger nasir said...

the whole world is making nukes including usa so why its a news at the first place,pakistan have every right to build weapons to defend itself just in case.so to you get a life ,to do that first you guys have to leave your trailer park residence move to a house and do not forget to mow the grass and talk about human rights violations in usa by the mother of all rednecks the bush first and to pakistan ,congradulation and well done

 
At 7/17/2007 6:44 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Dear Nasir,
I did not write this article. If you will notice, it is written by CNN.

In the second place, I have a very lovely life which I thank God for everyday. Thank you for being concerned about me.

Thirdly, but not lastly, I would like to keep my life! I do not desire for the terrorists to continue hurting and murdering the innocent people of Pakistan or of my country.

I do follow human rights. That is how I know that there are many people who are being murdered in Iran, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, etc. That is not the only place, though.

Are you interested in human rights? If you are, I am give you some very good sites. If not all that much, that is okay too. Have a nice day, and may in the path the Lord has set for you.

 
At 7/18/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger nasir2 said...

Hi Rose, thanks for lovely post,my post was not directed at you but at theme behind the above article,which is nothing more than a made up living room story by some struggling writer to jump on the band wagon of Muslim bashing.i don't blame any body else, because i find most Jews and ordinary Americans the nicest people on the face of the earth at least in my personal experience. so who is doing all this hate mongering?,neo-cons, Christian fanatics or other hate groups like skin heads,KKK etc etc. thats a million dollars question ,we all have to find the answer. thanks.

 
At 7/18/2007 8:39 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Dear Nasir,
Thank you for your kind words. There is just one thing I have a question about. What do you mean when you say, 'neo-con' or fanatical Christian?

I have been called both by my own countrymen, but it doesn't really bother me. I will not allow it! lol. Do you know why they do this here? Because I love God, I go to Church, and I try to obey my LORD as best as I can.

I do not think this is what you mean. Is it? They call me a neo-con because I believe everyone has the right to be free. Oh, what a terrible person I am! LOL. That is why it does not bother me.

It is usually very unhappy people or misunderstanding people who use words like this instead of saying what they really mean. They usually mean I have no right to speak out for righteousness (and yes, His righteousness) in the political arena of ideas.

Please share with me your knowledge. Is it not good for society for a man to marry another man? NO! They should not be killed! They should not be harmed in anyway whatever! But should we teach this way of life to a child 6 years old?

I do not believe so. This is what they consider radical. I don't believe they should be learning about that subject with a man and a woman either! That is too young. Besides, this is a matter for the parents.

Do you believe as I do? If you do, my friend, then you are a neo-con! Welcome to the club. LOL

May God's blessings follow your family and you through all things you may encounter, and may He keep your feet straight on His path for which He has mapped out for you. Have a very nice day. :)

 
At 7/19/2007 1:41 PM, Blogger nasir2 said...

[b]I have been called both by my own countrymen, but it doesn't really bother me. I will not allow it! lol. Do you know why they do this here? Because I love God, I go to Church, and I try to obey my LORD as best as I can.[b]Hi Rose i am 100% agree with you here, but i we use same yard stick here,I love God, I go to mosque to pray, and i also try my best to obey God, then no body should call me a fanatic or a terrorist,here we have to educate the liberals who plant all false stories in media, to them if somebody don't like to visit 42nd street, he/she is a hardliner(very funny),but i do like to see all of us to sit together and have dialog to understand each others religion and culture,for the betterment of human beings and for their children and make this world a safe place from wars and which hunting. thanks

 
At 7/19/2007 11:11 PM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Dear Nasir,

I have visited the Mosque in Costa Mesa, and the men and women there were very pleasant. That was back in 1992 or 93. It was an event such as you speak of.

May I ask you a question? I was just wondering. I know there are a few things that we will never see eye to eye on, but isn't it better to try to find those things for which we agree?

That is why I am getting very angry at the Democrats, the Leftist Marxists (communists) and the Republicans! I did not, however, say I was angry at Conservatives. May I explain why? Because I can agree/disagree, and they will listen to me. I can be who I truly am, and I do not want to be anything else!

Trying to be something else is a lie which is against God. I do not like it. No, not at all!

Do you mind if I ask where your family is from? Nasir sounds a little Iraqi, but I suspect you may be Persian. It drives me nuts not knowing! It's almost like having a birthday present hidden in the house, but you just cannot find it! lol.

May you have a blessed day, and may God bless you with the ability to see all the beauty and truth that is His. Have a nice day.

 
At 7/20/2007 6:13 AM, Blogger nasir2 said...

Hi Rose, let me open the box Santa have hidden in your home, i am not from Iraq nor Iran, i am from Pakistan,and that is where i live. but i am truly glad from bottom of my heart that having conversation with you at least we were able to clear some clouds and also Happy that we had a positive conversation despite the fact it has potential for "clash of the civilization". thanks again .cheers and may God bless us all .

 
At 7/20/2007 7:36 AM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Aha! Pakistanis are generally very sweet people. I have met a few over the net. Some I did not care to argue with, but that is in EVERY country, eh? lol.

I am also grateful that we have the opportunity to speak to one another and actually be heard. I thank you for this.

May I ask an awkward question? When I was studying and writing about Pakistan a year ago, there was a Indo-Pak peace talk on the table. Whatever happened to that? Do you know? I really hope everything turns out well for your family and you. Everyone should have peace. It is God's gift. :)

 
At 7/20/2007 9:21 AM, Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Dear Nasir,

I've just learned about the bomb that went off in your country. Are you alright? Oh my! How can I find out? Would it be possible for you to open a blog? It is free. Just go to www.blogger.com, and it is a three step process. This way, I can keep in touch with you to know you are alright.

I will be praying for your family and you. Please do not be hurt. Have a nice day.

 
At 7/20/2007 2:02 PM, Blogger nasir2 said...

we are doing fine during these boom,boom.let me explain you few things about Pakistan that if you don't mind,first Pakistan is a big country with 15-million souls.second its a very bad neighborhood we are living in.Iran and Afghanistan on the west ,china on north and India on the east side.plus we still have 25-million afghan illegal refugees in Pakistan who came here for shelter and food when Russians invaded Afghanistan now they do not want to go home. so in many ways you can call Pakistan another USA,And most of the bombings are done by them mostly in northwest Pakistan bordering Iran and Afghanistan.As for as peace deal with India, its still in progress, since its a very sensitive issue in both countries, but slowly and surely we are getting there. i have created a blog http://pakpunjab.blogspot.com/ as you said but i need more time to fix it. thanks.

 

Post a Comment

I am moderating comments because I do not have the time to catch all the nasty comments ie. sexual in nature. I won't put up with that. If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me or come over to Rosemary's Thoughts. Thank you.

<< Home